SC - Bogracsgulyas OOP (and Galushka)

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sat Feb 14 10:57:53 PST 1998

> Once upon a time we had a cooking workshop (this was in the days when we
> wondered how practical 'field cooking' was. In my Backyard, over an open
> fire, I prepared the following recipe (with changes as noted)
>
> Take one camel. (I couldn't find anywhere to take it from, so I skipped
> that bit. Plus we were feeding 20 people, all of whom were cooking
> something. It seemed like overkill.)
>
> Take one sheep   (which I did. without the neck opened. The butcher
> kindly got me one like that)
>
> Stick it in the camel (No camel. Well, what can you do)
>
> Take some ducks, geese, or chickens. (I got some chickens, and a buch of
> bits as well.)
>
> Put capons or quail in them. (quail went into chickens, ducks got capons
> filled with chicken breast)
>
> fill the rest with rice, pistachios, sultanas, figs and some other nut (I
> forget. I partially cooked the rice first)
>
> Put it on a spit over the fire, and cook it.
>
> What was amazing was that over about 8 hours, we ate nearly all the lamb,
> all the quails and most of the rest. It was really good.
>
> Unfortuantely I don't have any documentation.

I'm glad to see that somebody has actually tried this.  Here's your
documentation.  The following appears in the 13th-century Arabo-
Andalusian _Manuscrito Anonimo_, and is reprinted in Cariadoc's
Collection, volume II:

Roast Calf, which was made for the Sayyid Abu-L-'Ala in Ceuta

Take a young, plump ram, skinned and cleaned; open it deeply between
the thighs and carefully take out all the entrails that are in its
belly.  Then put in the interior a stuffed goose and into its belly a
stuffed hen and in the belly of the hen a stuffed pigeon and in the
belly of the pigeon a stuffed thrush and in the belly of this a small
bird, stuffed or fried, all this stuffed and sprinkled with the sauce
described for stuffing; sew up this opening and place the ram in a hot
tannur  and leave it until it is browned and ready; sprinkle it with
that sauce and then place it in the body cavity of a calf which has
been prepared clean; sew it up and place it in the hot tannur  and
leave it until it is done and browned; then take it out and present
it.

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu