SC - King's taste comments

jeffrey s heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 14 20:33:30 PST 1998

> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 98 23:45:29 PST
> From: "Alderton, Philippa" <phlip at morganco.net>
> Subject: Re: SC - Scrambled Eggs
>
> Been watching this egg thread and wondering a bit. What sort of omelette is
> so hard it needs to be sliced? Not to mention so big? I learned my
> omelette-ing, to coin a verb, from Julia Child's recipes, and I turn mine
> out in individual portions, with all desired ingredients in them, so that
> they're thouroughly cooked, but fork (Plastic fork) tender- I've been doing
> it at the last couple of New Years mornings breakfasts, and I can turn them
> out, one every thirty seconds or so after the first one. Further, they're
> all two egg omelettes. Why would one want to make a huge omelette?
>
> phlip at morganco.net

Well, whaddaya expect from a frustrated espionagier wannabe? Well, I'll
give my little commentary on Julia Child another time: we're more or
less in agreement on omelette orthodoxy, but the whole point is that
there is no omelette orthodoxy. What you learn when you learn classical
omelette 101 is that A) this is the classic method, and B) not everyone
likes them that way. For example, what I learned was that an omelette
should be plump, and that if you're not going to fill them, they should
consist of three eggs. Also they should be cooked, but shouldn't brown.
My instructor went on to say, "Of course, some people like their
omelettes a bit brown, so be prepared to apply a little more sunshine as
needed."

As for large omelettes, the typical French version seems to be in the
minority in its single-serving size. Spanish tortillas, Italian
frittatas, and real homestyle Cantonese egg foo young are made large,
and served in wedges like a pie.

Oh, and I almost forgot -- re the hardness of omelettes that get sliced,
I can't think of an omelette so hard that it absolutely needs to be
sliced, but it occurs to me that the whole idea is much more practical
if the proposed egg-based lechemeat is cold. Then it should be quite
easy to slice, if not strictly necessary.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com