SC - nightshades

Sun Feb 15 08:31:47 PST 1998

Greetings!  Stefan wrote:

>I would assume these are slivers of sugar sliced from a sugar cone.
>Or would these just be large particles rather than slivers?

"Rasping" is the clue.  Rasping involves a grater-like tool rather than
a knife, although a serrated knife might work.

>What is the best modern source? Just use granulated sugar? Make
>a sugar syrup and dry into a block of sugar and then shave slivers
>off with a peeler or grater of some sort? Or is there a ready-made
>suger confection, such as for cake decorations, that would approximate
>this?

You could probably get by with just granulated sugar.  You might want
to try "turbinado" sugar which has larger crystals, or a mixture of
both.  Modern sugar cones (which I found in a German import shop here
in Cleveland) would produce a "fine-ish" crystal if it were rasped, but
I suspect that as one "rasped" the cone, larger chunks might fall off.
The question would be...Would the cook then select the smaller crystals
to put on the food, picking out the larger chunks or perhaps smashing
them down, or would they be going for a larger-crystal size?

Alys Katharine