SC - Slicing Omelettes???

rudin@okway.okstate.edu rudin at okway.okstate.edu
Mon Feb 16 13:05:31 PST 1998

It was written:
>> >The tomato was available within the SCA period, but was not used as a
>> food
>> >at that time.
>>
>> Except that it was described, in period, as eaten in Italy fried.
>>
>Interesting.  Does it seem to be a localized, late period recipe like the
>German recipe for roast potatoes or do fried tomatoes seem to be widely
>prepared Italian fare?

One of my books quotes a late sixteenth-century English source as saying
that the Italians (or possibly the Spanish) made a sauce of tomatoes and
used it "as we do mustard."

Unfortunately, everything's still in disarray from the move, and I can't
even remember which book, let alone lay hands on it.  More later....

Alasdair mac Iain

James and/or Nancy Gilly
katiemorag at worldnet.att.net

****  REUNITE GONDWANALAND!!