SC - breakfasts?

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Mon Feb 16 22:58:05 PST 1998

M'lord,
	I agree.
	Based on my recent dismay at talking to a SCA member this past
weekend that said he was on this list and wanted to publish a collection
of two to three hundred recipes and sell them at events for the education
of the population of the SCA. But he couldn't because, according to him,
all recipes are copyrighted by the person that posts them and when he
contacted someone on the list for permission to use the copies, he was
told in no uncertain terms that he would effectively have his rear end
sued off if he did. And that even possession of them was a violation of
the copyright laws.
	He said he destroyed everything he had, quit the list, and was
ejected from his household for destroying the collection that many of his
friends wanted. He is thinking of leaving the SCA permanently. And, no,
he refused to say who on the list he had talked to.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Dodging trees in the Kingdom of An Tir.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 16 Feb 98 16:29:07 PST
>From: "Alderton, Philippa" <phlip at morganco.net>
>Subject: Re: SC - King's taste comments
>
>Cariadoc,
>
>Much as I respect your knowledge about period matters, it is not my
place
>to tell others how to run their Dream. If I had been there, I hope I
would
>have been able to suggest something other than chocolate chip cookies in
>emulation of your Lady Wife, but I wasn't and I didn't. Personally, I
don't
>care if they call it a tradition or an egg salad sandwich, and I don't
>particularly care if their "egg salad sandwich" is to give every would
be
>fighter a chocolate covered pickled jalepeno. If they enjoy it, perhaps
it
>will keep them around the SCA long enough to learn better.
>
>What I do take exception to is the fact that some people come down hard
on
>people who may be fairly new to the Society and are trying to learn.
That