SC - Puck bashing rant

R.A. Kappler II kappler at edgenet.net
Tue Feb 17 08:53:49 PST 1998

Greetings!

I'm on the digest.  Bear with me, there will be 2 or three subjects covered.

1)  Great poem about snippage.  Thanks.  When the same long message gets
sent again and again between a few folks, never trimmed, it clogs up my
system, and I'm prone to deletion.  Seems to me the writers are being
unfair to themselves, since what they have to say just might be something I
would like to read, or could learn from, but I never get to see it due to
the excess verbiage.  Also, a general offer to anyone who does not know
_how_ to trim their email replies back.  I'll help you figure it out, if I
don't know how to tell you right off the bat.  Just ask, private email,
wwill at siu.edu , I'm familiar with most of the packages in common use out
there.

2)  Cinnamon mead, recipe and techniques available for the asking, but not
on this list.  It's not exactly pertinent here, more useful on a brewing
and vinting venue.  Privately, no sweat.  Have it on tap, fresh today.

3)  Breakfasts - I always try to provide something warm and filling for my
guests the morning after a camping event.  Nothing fancy, just some sort of
hard rolls with honey and butter, and preserves if I can get them
reasonably inexpensively, or can make some; and I try to make some hot
cereals.  Oatmeal -  rolled and quick-cooking if necessary to keep it cheap
- - preferrably whole-grain, cooked slowly until the oat groats are soft, and
put out more butter, honey, sugar (brown and white), applesauce, cinnamon,
nutmeg, and if I can keep it cool enough to be safe, milk.  Sometimes I
make a small pot of boiled wheat or barley porridge, for those souls who
really like their fibre, or a pot of rice (great with brown sugar or honey
and a touch of milk!), or wheat farina meal cooked in milk or water until
thick.  These sorts of things are easy to make(one pot, boil....), cheap to
buy, and very filling.  I know of at least one true convert to whole-grain
breakfasts.  She had never had plain (not rolled) fresh oats before that
too-early morning.  I heard later that she now eats the stuff religiously.

So, in short, how about bread and butter and whole-grain porridges?  Sounds
period, looks period, _is_ period so far as I know, and tastes good, too.

Oh, one special little option for the braver souls:  try orange oil or
extract (just a touch) and ground nutmeg in your plain hot cereal.
Sweetener of your choice, to taste, and enjoy!

Eoin Campbell