SC - Period Breakfasts...

jeffrey s heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 17 19:18:57 PST 1998

- --=_ORCL_40813104_0_11919802172232150
Content-Transfer-Encoding:7bit

Hello -

I had passed on the two deserts you mentioned because the first
(with the cottage cheese) was deemed "icky looking" by my tasting
audience, and I had used the pears in a previous feast (in September).

I tried the musticai.  I couldn't get them to cook quite right in
quantity, and the one's that did cook correctly were kind of bland.
I also tried the pear patina and didn't like the consistency it came
out.  My attempts to fix it led quite far from the original recipe and
pretty close to modern French cooking.  I tried a couple of the other
custard recipes (one of which came out too much like runny scrambled eggs
to serve), but really wanted something more starchy to replace the
musticai.  All that that left me was the really complicated pastries
and the fried bread type dishes.  Both proved far too complicated
to make for 125 and get out in decent shape.

I didn't try every recipe, but I had originally been planning on the
musticai and the pear patina, and got kind of frustrated when neither
of them worked out well.

I should explain my biases in regards to feasts.  As far as I am concerned,
if I serve a major piece of my feast that people don't eat, it's a waste
of money.  So I look at every recipe for the following criteria:

Periodness (to the theme of the meal, not just in general) - I think I'm
	the only one who knows if I succeed at this one, but it's a point
	of personal pride.  I consider period to include a single place as well
	as a consist ant approximate time and even season where possible.
Good Taste - goes without saying
Nice Presentation (i.e., my feasters won't go ICK at the way it looks) - I
	push the edges of this one, but there are limits.  I serve a LOT of
	sauces on the side because it looks nice AND means that those people
	who don't like the sauce still eat.
Affordability (my barony is poor) - This can limit ingredients - Because we
	added the "dormice" to this feast, I lost some flexibility.  I'm glad,
	since they went over REALLY well, but that was $30 I could have spent on
	dessert.
Ease of preparation for the size of the feast with the equipment we have
	(this is kind of a big one)
Uniqueness - This is a fuzzy one to explain, but basically means I don't
	like to repeat recipes two feasts in a row or get TOO close to something
	I served before.

Each dessert I tried failed on at least one count, sometimes on more then one.

Had I had more time, I might have tried more of them.  But the cookies
were an "8:30pm night before the feast all I have are a lot of eggs and
some almonds" solution.  Even if they were period in the broadest sense
of the word, I normally wouldn't have served them because they weren't
the same period as the rest of the feast.  But I was tired and they were
a sure hit.

Ruadh
- --
Rebecca E. Tants	retants at us.oracle.com	Phone:	716-389-1154
Oracle Consulting Services			Pager: 800-PAGE-MCI
Data Warehouse Architecture			Pin#:  1932362

- --=_ORCL_40813104_0_11919802172232150