SC - Period Breakfasts...

Crystal A. Isaac crystal at pdr-is.com
Wed Feb 18 18:30:24 PST 1998

At 11:45 PM +0000 2/17/98, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
>And it came to pass on 17 Feb 98, that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>
>> I'm curious as to one thing, as HG Cariadoc mentioned baconned
>> herring too. I'm working on the assumption here that "baconn'd"
>> means cured and smoked, or some similar preservative process, rather
>> than being cooked with bacon, which was also done pretty commonly in
>> places like Scandinavia, but which would be in violation of the
>> various Church dietary laws.
>
>I had a similar thought, but I do not know for sure.  Anyone out
>there have access to an OED?
>
>Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba

The OED isn't much help--it doesn't mention this particular usage.  By the
way, the reason we and Brighid both mentioned it is that we were quoting
the same source--she gave it in more detail.

Another poster on this thread:

>...if the reference was to using the leavings of the
>bacon or otherwise using the bacon smoke for the preparation of the
>herring, it does not break any laws.  You can cook a sauce with meat as
>long as the meat is not consumed and is saved for another time...
>
>Brenna

That does not seem to have been the case at least in the 14th-15th century.
The recipes from this period go to a lot of trouble to substitute fish or
vegetarian broth (made from peas or onions, for example) or almond milk for
meat broth in fish-day versions of recipes.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook