SC - copyright discussion

Arabella de Montacute ladyarabella at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 20:39:15 PST 1998

> Haifuku!
>
> > Columbus found the tomato being used as food and brought them back in
> 1493.
> > In 1583, the Portuguese introduced then into China and into Japan in
> 1543.
> > Apparently they were used as an ornamental plant rather than food.
> >
> > Bear
>
> 	Might I ask waht your source is for the introduction of Tomatoes
> into
> Japan?
>
> 	Yumitori

The source is James Trager's The Food Chronology.  To quote:

"Japan gets her first European visitors as some Portuguese from a Chinese
ship land on the island of Taneko off Kyushu.  The Namban, as they are
called, introduce baked bread to the Japanese.  They will also bring in
tomatoes, maize, and other Western Hemisphere foods, but initially just as
curiosities."

Trager is interesting, often useful, but not overly scholarly.  He doesn't
believe in a lot of notes or a full bibliography.  So, no attribution is
available.  If you want to verify the statement, you'll probably need to
check into the Portuguese trade in the orient.

The 1583 date above should read 1538.  I have fat fingers -- often.

Bear