SC - Publishing Posts: was Recipes vs. Copyrights

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Thu Feb 19 06:19:06 PST 1998

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 09:42:35 -0600 L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt
<liontamr at ptd.net> writes:

>Well, if you can find a copy of the recipe called Richmond Maids of
>Honor,
>this is supposed to be a recipe created by Henry IIX's cook for his
>ladies
>in waiting, and the story goes that it was dubbed "Maids of Honor"
>when
>'Enry himself came upon the girls muching in the garden on small
>cheese
>tarts. Supposedly he asked what they were called, and when they didn't
>know,
>he named them Maids of Honor. The story goes that the recipe was given
>in
>secret to a Cook called Richmond, who set up a bakery and began to
>sell
>them. I do not own a "period" version of this recipe, though, and
>cannot
>vouch for the story's veracity. Richmond Maids of Honor contain curd
>cheese,
>peel, currants, almonds, etc. in the filling.

I have a recipe for Richmond Maids ofHonor someplace. I don't recall it
having curd cheese in it, but I haven't looked at it in a while and I
could be wrong. Or I could have a modern translation that's a little
bit.....ah,  wrong?

I'll look it up, but no guarantees. Too many recipes and not enough
filing system, you know!

Julleran