SC - kitchen kits (long)

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Thu Feb 19 14:42:32 PST 1998

Certainly squid-ink pasta is extremely fishy in smell
and taste..

Kiriel
(who keeps it in the cupboard mainly 'cause black
pasta just looks SO stylish)

 ----------
From: dar3 at st-andrews.ac.uk
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject: SC - Squid-Charter info
Date: Friday, 20 February 1998 1:41AM

Greetings all, I realise that this is a little late but I only found it
today.

A colleague of mine here has found a reference to serving cuttle-fish in a
charter dated around 1216. (I could be a bit off) It was in a monastery in
Portugal where the hostelier served what appears to be the little beasties
cooked in their own ink. The problem was that these were highly
undesirable as a food stuff  (apparently) as the visiting abbott tried to
bribe his way out of eating it! There was a mention of it being smelly
too. Does anyone know if this methode of prep. would result in a fishy
smell or could they have been off? (I've never tried it)

Thanks, Coll