SC - breakfasts?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Feb 19 23:08:02 PST 1998

Elizabeth/Betty Cook asked:

>What is the earliest recipe that anyone knows of for candied lemon  or
>orange peel?  The earliest I know of is in Hugh Platt's _Delightes for
>Ladies_, 1609, and it is not very clear.  I ask because we have got lemons
>and tangerines coming out of our ears--I've made two years' supply of
>marmelade (OOP version) and haven't made a noticable dent in the supply.

Searching through my desserts-msg file, I find the following two
referances:

To make sucade of peeles of Lemmons (John Partridge, The Treasurie of
Commodious Conceits, and Hidden Secrets, 1573)

"a goodlye secret for to condite or confite Orenges, citrons, and all
other fruites in sirrop", a recipe from Thomas Dawson, THE SECOND PART OF
THE GOOD HUS-WIVES JEWELL, 1597.

Not much earlier than what you already have. Both of the original recipes
from these are given in my file as well as modern redactions, although I
doubt you will need the latter.

My files are at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

I hope this is of use. Hopefully someone else knows of some earlier
source.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net