Event bread (was SC - Flours)

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 20 19:43:51 PST 1998

Christi Redeker (Murkial) wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if ham is period.  I don't remember seeing an exact
> reference for it, so I figured I would check with the experts.  Anyone?

Yep, ham's medieval. There's a recipe in Apicius for "Pig Newtons." You
take ham, cover it with a paste of figs and honey then cover it with a
pastry crust and bake. It's really good.

I think about any sort of salt or smoke cured meat is medieval. They
were pretty clever about figuring out ways to make meat last over winter
without making people sick.

Crystal of the Westermark