SC - Breakfasts and Cinnamon Mead

Morgan morgan at lewistown.net
Mon Feb 23 23:44:36 PST 1998

I often do frumenty with mik and barley or wheat.  I also do Panperdy and
Savilum.  Panperdy resembles french toast somewhat (at least that's what
you tell finicky kids) It's from Markham (I think that's what my note says)

Maeve

To make the best panperdy, take a dozen eggs, and break them, and beat them
very well, then put into them cloves, mace, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a good
store of sugar, and as much salt as shall season it:  then take a manchet [a
manchet is a quality 'white" loaf], and cut it into thick slices like
toasts; which done, take your frying pan, and put into it a good store of
sweet butter, and, being melted, lay in your slices of bread, then pour upon
them half of your eggs;  then when that is fried, with a dish, turn your
slices of bread upward, and then pour on them the other half of your eggs,
and so turn them till both sides be brown;  then dish it up, and serve it
with sugar strewed upon it.

Here is a breakfast dish that goes over quite well.  I have been told that
it is a roman dish,  I am unsure of the source as it was given to me by a
friend.

Savillum

Recipe By:      from Fjorleith
Serving Size:   10

Amount  Measure Ingredient
15      ounces  Ricotta cheese
2               eggs
1       cup     Bulgur
1       cup     honey
                poppy seeds

Mix all and bake in a covered oiled pan at 350-375 for 45min.  uncover and
glaze with honey and poppy seeds.  Serve Chilled (Breakfast)

        -----

Per serving: 238 Calories; 7g Fat (24% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 40g
Carbohydrate; 58mg Cholesterol; 50mg Sodium
_____