SC - Piecrust debate continues...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 24 09:22:41 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
re: risotto...
our local guild (specifically Eden, who does not appear on this list) did a
fair amount of digging for risotto-like units. Like you, we had a feast
that a risotto dish would have fit perfectly. What Eden found was that
there was indeed a dish that resembled risotto in its preparation and
texture, but contained so much cheese it was more a rendition of macaroni
and cheese in taste. Yum!!!! Most creamy and flavorful and wonderful stuff.
 We will be fine tuning it at the reconstruction meeting Wednesday and I
will ask if I can post the results.

We found no examples like the modern risotto flavored with herbs, or
mushrooms or anything like that. Just the oh-so-cheesy one. Yum!
- --AM

- ----------
> From: L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt <liontamr at ptd.net>
> To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: SC - Risotto?
> Date: Tuesday, February 24, 1998 6:31 AM
>
> Hello, all. I am wondering if anyone has come across a period recipe for
> Risotto or a Risotto-like dish. It occured to me this would be great
event
> food, espescially since it's cheap, and leftovers can be made into Rice
> Cakes for frying in the morning (yum!). Risotto with fresh herbs smells
so
> fragrant cooking as the stock is ladled in slowly and stirred, stirred,
> stirred, that it draws crowds to the kitchen area. I try to keep the food
> relatively period when I go to camping events and am just cooking for
family
> and friends. I really enjoy making Risotto. It's a sensual experience!
>
> There does not seem to be anything resembling Risotto in my
English/French