SC - Roast Meats & Dry spice rubs

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Feb 25 12:15:43 PST 1998

Amra here, cleaning out the "keepers" file (and saving to more
permanent storage...)

Seems there was a question I missed along the way, one which may
invoke a bit of IKAnthro:

- --- Beatrix [Michael P Newton <melc2newton at juno.com>] wrote:
> Ok, now for the turnovers -
<SNIPPPPP>
> However, today, a friend told me that a few of the fighters
> were miffed, because I opened the inn at 11:30 and was sold
> out by 12:30, and since the fighting didn't stop until 2,
> they didn't get lunch. has anyone else had this problem?

Beatrix, this happens all the time with limited resource tavernas,
lunch boards, and whatever here in Ansteorra. Typically, lunch
tavern is a pay-as-you-go offered by an individual or a house
instead of being included with site fee. *Thankfully* (for the
proprietors) most I have seen appear to "sell out" within a
reasonable time frame.

The general Ansteorran solution to uncertain lunch availability is
that fighters either bring their own day-meal (VERY common for many
of the more experienced combatants) or have their sponsor (lord or
lady whose favor they carry) deal with the tavern/board/off-site
food run. *If* they think that far in advance, and *if* things go
"right", they get fed. (Things going "wrong" may include dogs,
raccoons, small children, & the occasional 'possum in the supply
tent; ice chest lost in transit; und so weiter.)

Most recent event I attended around here was indoors, with lunch
board included in site fee. The board was bare within 45 minutes
after opening, for all practical purposes. Non-fighting,
A&S-oriented baronial college. Feast was good (think I mentioned it
a couple o' weeks back).

In planning an event, my list of things-to-do includes early
decision upon what type of lunch arrangements will be included.
Feeding the Crown & local nobility is de rigeur around these hyar
parts, usually turned over to a special team.  Feeding lunch to the
populace is still a strange and marvelous addition not always
possible to plan for in this kingdom, especially with no-feast,
no-tavern, day-only, remote-location, or any of several other factors.

> (sorry bogdan, the leftover borscht was claimed by a dieting
> vegetarian friend of mine. next time I'll save you back a bowl)

He can have my share, thank you very much indeed... although I'd not
mind a spoonful to taste, just because I haven't tried *your* version.

===
Adios -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com