SC - herb cheese

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Thu Feb 26 09:16:04 PST 1998

: BTW I had a look in Stefan's Floregium in the cheese sections, and noticed
: there was no mention of the 'crumbly' cheeses which are common here in the
: UK, such as Wensleydale, Lancashire and Cheshire cheeses.  As 'cheddared'
: cheeses are OOP for me, these are the type I use commonly as replacements.
: They are keeping cheeses, but have a soft, crumbly texture closer to curd
: texture, usually white in colour.  Double Gloucester is much closer to
: cheddar in texture than these cheese (and I speak as someone from
: Gloucester!).  I'm puzzled about this, don't you have them in the States?

We do have them, but they're not very popular and rather hard to find.
Here, you mostly find Cheddar, Brie, Roquefort, Swiss, Colby, Bleu, a few
"flavored" cheeses such as Caraway and Hot Pepper, American (rubber made
meltable), and the ever popular Kraft Cheese Food.