SC - lye, fish, pastry, japanese and horehound

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Fri Feb 27 08:50:21 PST 1998

     I am woefully behind on reading the list postings so forgive me if
     someone has mentioned this already.  I just got the latest King Arthur
     Flour catalog.  They are selling small cones of unrefined sugar from
     Mexico that, IIRC, they are calling piloncillos.  (Of course, I left
     the catalog at home this morning!)  The piture looks like brown sugar
     but the description simply says "unrefined" sugar.  I was wondering if
     these might be comparable to the cones of sugar used in the MA.  The
     catalog actually specifies that this is meant to be grated and they
     even sell a little grater to do it with.  I can post more info on
     Monday if anyone is interested or call them at 800-827-6836 or visit
     their web page at http://home.kingarthurflour.com

     I don't have any affiliation with them (unless lusting after several
     things in their catalog counts!) I just thought the sugar cones were
     interesting.

     Mercedes
     rudin at okway.okstate.edu