SC - Collective nouns for cooks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Feb 1 20:50:27 PST 1998

> : How About a "Frigate" of Fighters (alright, I SAW you snickering in the
> back
> : row)? A Corpus (Caste?) of Cambattants? A Stein of Stickjocks? A Pride of
> : Polearms-men? A Bristle of Bascinets? A Sept of Shieldsmen? A Melange of
> : Melee Teams?
> :
> : Or for that matter: A Commandment of Head Cooks? A Clique of Carvers? A
> : Brotherhood of Botteliers?  A Soliloquey (?) of Sous-chefs? A Sibilance of
> : Servers? A Gangload of Garnishers? A Picayune of Prep-cooks? A Pouf of
> : Pastry Cooks? A Barrage of Bakers? A Skulk of Scullery maids? A Downpour
> of
> : Dishwashers?
> :
> : Aoife, suddenly remembering why Roget's Thesaurus was her favorite book in
> : College....

FWIW, I recall actually trying to find genuine period collective nouns
for cooks, and the references I found, probably in one of those books of
nothing but collective nouns ("An Exaltation of Larks"?) were to a synod
of cooks, and a temperance of cooks. I think I preferred the latter.

I've got about two more days of what the Gilbreths, the great
time-and-motion study experts in the years before WWI, used to call
"unavoidable delay", and then i expect to begin slogging away at the
back digests. Hey! Anybody need old SCA-Cooks digests? I must have the
last thirty or so...

Adamantius
troy at asan.com