SC - Spanish souring agents

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Feb 2 15:07:20 PST 1998

And it came to pass on  2 Feb 98, that Dan Gillespie wrote:

>         It is rather interesting that you say that sour citrus
>         juices were
> used more often as souring agents in the "Libro de Guisados".  The
> opposite situation is true in the "Arte de Cozina" some 70 or 80
> years later. Verjuice & vinegar seem to be used pretty much
> interchangeably in most recipes, although some recipes mention only
> one or the other; there are lots of recipes that call for one, the
> other or either.  Sour orange juice is a somewhat common as a
> souring agent & lemon juice is much less so.  Lime juice is called
> for once or twice.  Pomegranite juice is not used at all.
>                 Take care,     Antoine

::sigh:: That's what I get for relying on my faulty memory, rather
than double-checking.  My recollection of the commonness of citrus
juices is based mostly on the fish section of the "Libro".  In
looking over the rest of the recipes, vinegar and verjuice appear
more often than citrus, and rather more often than I remembered.
The vinegar, incidently, is generally specified to be white.

I'll just pull the hole in after me...

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net