SC - spices

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Feb 2 23:24:21 PST 1998

Corwyn wrote (concerning grains of paradise):

>Okay, okay, they're not EXACTLY like cardomon, but the ones in my kitchen
>right now taste like in intense (as in dried) cardomon. :-)
>
>Of course, wnen I've been out to buy black mustard seeds (and called first)
>I've been offered brown when I got there (and there most assuridly IS a
>difference). Maybe I got shafted again?
>
>Corwyn.

To me they taste peppery but not quite as hot and maybe a little sweeter?
(It is hard to describe tastes.) Not particularly like cardamon.  As to
whether you got what you thought you were getting, grains are a little
smaller than peppercorns, brown rather than the almost black of pepper,
almost round but pointed at one spot which is tan--looks almost yellow
against the brown.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook