SC - Bread Making from Platina

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 4 17:49:25 PST 1998

> Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 15:49:12 -0500
> From: Christi Redeker <Christi.Redeker at digital.com>
> Subject: RE: SC - Bread Making from Platina
>
> We have ways to make sourdough starters, but my next question is this.
> Once on this list it was said that sourdough wasn't period.  Am I
> mistaken?  If I am correct, what else could be used for leavening that
> would be period?
>
> Murkial

As has been said by Lord Bear of the Boulangerie, sourdough is perfectly
acceptable in many period settings. I think perhaps you may be recalling
some statement to the effect that in Northern Europe, you'd be more
likely to find bread being leavened with barm.

Still more evidence suggesting that the term "period" be abandoned as
needlessly confusing...

Adamantius, going at digests with pick and shovel
troy at asan.com