SC - Period Pasta recipes...

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Feb 5 15:06:23 PST 1998

Adamantius wrote:

>To add to the fun, don't forget the 14th-century English recipe for
>Hares in Papdele, found in The Forme of Cury. It is essentially a
>boneless hare stew, cooked in broth, and stacked up with either wafers
>_or_ loseyns, apparently. I'd be vastly surprised to find that Papdele
>isn't a cognate of the Italian wide noodle, pappardelle.

This looks like an interesting one to try, but I don't know if I can find
hare.  Have you ever tried hare?  If so, does it taste like rabbit; or what
would you recommend substituting for it?  I ask because I notice that in
the period cookbook, there are separate and different recipes for hare and
cony (rabbit).

Elizabeth/Betty