SC - pulentium

marilyn i traber mtraber at juno.com
Fri Feb 6 10:14:24 PST 1998

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998 11:53:47 +0300 dkpirolo at cts.com writes:
>Greetings,
>On another list polenta was discussed.  On researching the word origin
>found that its origin as a food is a chestnut base from the Etruscans.
>
>None of the online sources of Apicius have a recipe for it so I was
>wondering if one of you fine SCA cooks who has Apicius' recipe book
>could
>check to see if it contains a recipe for pulentium.  Any help would be
>appreciated.
>Celestria

Well, I have the defanged version by Vehling, and it lists several puls
recipes, having various ingredients including spelt or stale bread as the
starchy base for the dish. The first recipe[178]  is a feast dish
including brains and various  herbs/spices, forcemeat and assorted other
goodies. The other recipe[182]  is essentially milquetoast. There is,
however a lentil and chestnut puree listed a bit later[nos 184, 184a]

Granted, neither is exactly what you were asking for, but that's what i
found. I do have a recipe for a chickpea puree based bread that is
purported to be at least 180 years old...not in period but tasty if you
like chick peas!

margali