SC - beer bread, OOP

Mon Feb 9 07:16:37 PST 1998

You're probably right about the excess liquid.  The grain absorbs a fair
amount during the brewing.  The oil and the alcohol are probably causing the
problems with the rise.  You need to proof the yeast and get it working
before building the dough.  I don't know how to correct the problems for the
bread machine (I've never used one), but I can tell you what I would try for
regular baking.

Dissolve 1 teaspoon of sugar in 1/4 cup of warm water (105-110 degrees F).
Dissolve 1 teaspoon of dry active yeast (1 Pkg) in the sugar water.  Let
stand until frothy (10 minutes or so).
Add 3/4 cup of home brew.
Mix 2 teaspoons of salt with 1 cup of flour and stir into the liquid.
Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour 1/2 cup at a time, blending it in
thoroughly.  (You may require more or less flour, depending on the type and
dryness of the flour).

For a single rise bread:

Break up the grain in a blender.
Turn the dough out on a floured surface.  Knead the dough until it is smooth
and elastic.
Shape the dough into a rectangle.  Add half of the grain to 1/2 of the
surface.  Fold the dough over and knead to work the grain into the dough.
Repeat.
Shape the loaf and place it in a greased tin to rise.
Let rise until triple in size, about 3 to 4 hours.  (This is an ideal rise.
In practice the loaf may not triple.  Giving the loaf 3 to 4 hours should
give it reasonable aeration even if it doesn't rise ideally).
Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F until the loaf is a nice brown and
sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom (40 to 45 minutes).

For a double rise bread:

Turn the dough out on a floured surface.  Knead the dough until it is smooth
and elastic.
Place the dough in a covered, greased bowl.
Let rise until triple in size, about 3 to 4 hours.

Break up the grain in a blender.
Punch down dough and turn out on a floured surface.
Shape the dough into a rectangle.  Add half of the grain to 1/2 of the
surface.  Fold the dough over and knead to work the grain into the dough.
Repeat.
Shape the loaf and place it in a greased tin to rise.
Let rise until double in size, about 2 hours.
Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F until the loaf is a nice brown and
sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom (40 to 45 minutes).

Bear