SC - pot lifter

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Tue Feb 10 17:24:15 PST 1998

There is a historical device for hanging a pot on over a fire. It relies
on having a beam above the fire, and is adjustable. I think the original
illustration I have seen is in the Maciejowski bible - a 13th C set of
miniatures mostly in the Pierpont collection, And published as _Old
Testament Miniatures_, Sydney Cockerel, London 1967. I forget the
publisher.

The beasty consists of a flat toothed piece of Iron, one end bent over to
hang on the beam, and at the other end, on the non-toothed bar, a small
loop. A rod goes through the loop, and has a hook at the bottom (down
past the toothed flat piece, and on the other end a hinged loop of its
own, large enugh to slide over the teeth, and pull into one to fix the
height.

I guess this is not very easy to imagine, but the same thing is made by
blacksmiths today.

Cheers

Charles Ragnar