SC - CHEAP spits

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Tue Feb 10 17:35:38 PST 1998

I have very sucessfully used a piece of hardwood about 2" square and 8'
long, sharpened at one end (I used a circular saw to sharpen it, but it
could be done properly. As a spit stand at each end it take a couple of
pieces of 1" hardwood, and a block of the spit wood. Cut one of the
1"pieces shorter, and sharpen an end of the other one (for easy pushing
into the ground. screw them to the 2" block, and place the spit between
them - it doesn't turn because they are all square. To turn it, lift it
off and rotate the desired amount. (this is the drawback - it requires
two people for a whole animal) To adjust the height, put a screw in the
top of each 1" piece, and use a bit of heavy cord. Alternatively, rest it
onto the block (this is as low as it can get...) and then add a couple of
chocks.

I have one spit made in this manner. I have set fire to a set of ends,
and broken an end, but the spit is fine. (I would like to make steel ends
- - a welder could do that. In the meantime I just rest it on a couple of logs.
But I have used the spit about 8 times, with very little appreciable
degradation of it - it has not caught fire, although once an assistant
cook left the beasty (a nice fat sheep) too low, and that had to be put
out with a bladder of wine.

Charles