SC - Hulwa / Halva

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Feb 10 21:23:08 PST 1998

At 12:04 PM +1100 2/11/98, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Does anybody know when Halva (as sold in shops) appeared, and whether it
>has antecedents? I suppose I am looking for a chronology of desserts really.

The word means "sweets" and appear in period Islamic cookbooks, but none of
the recipes I have seen corresponds to what we now call Hulwa. The one I do
is similar to divinity.

I believe there is a sweet in _al-Baghdadi_ that uses sesame seeds in a way
that can be interpreted as somewhat like the modern Hulwa, although not the
same. I experimented with it a long time ago, but I don't think it is in
the Miscellany.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/