SC - a poll on a vegetable stall

Sharon Gordon gordonse at mail.one.net
Wed Feb 11 16:22:36 PST 1998

This answer includes more than just vegetables.
I started thinking about all the fun things
you could do ...and, uh, couldn't stop...

How about some fresh greens, either harvested or
growing in pots?

Fresh peas are delicious, and it's fun to sit
around and talk while shelling them.  Depends on
the time of the year and the location of the event
as to how easily you can get fresh ones.

Someone else suggested radishes.  Radishes with the
leaves still on are an extra bonus as you can cook
the leaves.

Similarly, beets with the leaves used for greens
and the beets roasted, are good.

Garlic is a tasty addition to many dishes.  Garlic
braids would be decorative in the kitchen area of
people's pavilions, though, I have no idea if braids
are period.

How about fresh herbs?  If they are growing as well,
you might be able to team up in advance with a
potter to make some period pots to sell also for
people that wanted them.

Mushrooms would be fun especially if you could time
a growing log to be in full flush for the event.
You could display the whole log and let people
pick to order.

I am not sure what sort of fruit you have, but if
you've only done fresh ones, would you consider
dried as well?

Whole nuts might go over well.  You might want to
have nut crackers and picks available for customers
to buy or borrow or use at your booth.

If you are at an event, where people  like to
have a feast for the eyes as well as the palate,
bunches of period flowers for the table or pavillion
might be appreciated. Those engaged in the art of romance
could make good use of them as well.  Given the state
of many people's finances, I'd make the bundles small.
Anyone who wants to make a big gesture, could buy
several bundles.  Here again, teaming up with a potter
for crockery, could be beneficial to all.  Pottery
could be multipurpose.  For example, flowers look
nice in neutral toned pitchers.

Sharon
gordonse at one.net