SC - Scrambled Eggs

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Feb 12 09:53:04 PST 1998

<<
 I find it pretty hard to imagine that scrambled eggs were not period. Where
 did you run across this bit of info? Since scrambled eggs are my very
favorite
 form of eggs and so basic in construction, I had automatically tho't them
 "period". OTOH, Both omelettes and French toast , which are more elaborite
 ways of serving eggs , are both documentably period.

 Would it be possible for anyone who has information either proving or
 disproving the use of scrambled eggs in the MA please post the information
and
 source material to me? Thanks in advance.

 Ras
 ============================================================ >>
      For what it's worth, I just ran across a recipe in Cariadoc's Miscellany
that I marked to show to the breakfast cook for our next event that might be
interpeted as scrambled eggs or as an omlette, depending on your mood........
It doesn't seem to be in the on-line version, just the hard copy (7th edition)
that a friend picked up for me at Pennsic last year.

      SAWGEAT (Curye on Inglysch p. 135 [Form of Cury no. 169])

     Take sawge; grynde it and temper it vp with ayren. Take a sausege & kerf
hym to gobetes, cast it in a possynet, and do [th]erwi[th] grece & frye it.
Whan it is fryed ynowgh, cast  [th]erto  sawge with ayren; make it not hard.
Cast [th]erto powdour douce & messe it forth. If it be in ymbre day; take
sauge, buttur, & ayren, and lat stonde wel by [th]e sauge, and serue forth.

      I don't do eggy things often, and tend to preffer quiche when I do, but
this looked pretty good to my eyes. Of course, being a big fan of strong herbs
doesn't hurt--I'd probably put more sage in than anyone else could stand! ;-)
A question, though, for those who know more about period sausage than I do;
would they have been likely to have the soft, fresh sausages that we usually
cook for breakfast, or would this more likely have been a harder, smoked
sausage? (Which is what the "kerf hym to gobetes" suggested to me.)
     As to the original question, the recipe doesn't say how to cook the eggs
other than not to let them get too hard, so to my mind it could be dealt with
as an omlette or scrambled eggs as the cook chose. Not absolute documentation,
Ras, but at least not forbiding the practice, either........... ;-)

       Ldy Diana