SC - teaching kids (was beerbread)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Feb 13 01:16:25 PST 1998

Puck asks:

>So, since I brought it up, I'll push the thread a little.  What
>recommendations would the list make re a first period dish for Puck and his
>11 and 12 year old tax deductions to cook as a team.  For those of you that
>don't have kids, here's a few ground rules:  Must be very tasty, fun and not
>too complicated to prepare, though lots of unusual ingredients is a plus
>(remember the chemistry set), ummmm....time is sort of important; what was
>your attention span at that age?  Oh, and pleyn Delit is currently our best
>resource, so if you suggest an idea from another source, recipe please?
>Nothing needing redaction, we need to work our way up.

How about fritters of some sort?  Such as:

Golden Morsels
Platina p. 148 (book 8)

Toast white bread crumbs, soak them in rosewater with beaten eggs and
ground sugar. Take them out, fry them in a pan with butter or liquamen
[chicken or pork fat], spread out so they do not touch each other. When
fried, put in dishes and sprinkle with sugar, rosewater, and saffron.
The version of this recipe in Martino's cookbook starts out:  Have some
slices of white bread pared that does not have crust and make the slices be
four (or square), a little toasted so much that every part be colored from
the fire. ...[end of original]

1 lb sourdough bread	5 T sugar	16 threads saffron
2 t rosewater (or more)	~1/2 stick (1/ lb) butter or lard	1 c more sugar
10 eggs 	1 t more rosewater

Beat eggs. Beat in sugar and rosewater. Cut crust off the bread, slice
thin, put into egg mixture and let soak. Crush saffron into remaining
rosewater, mix with remaining sugar and set aside. Melt butter or lard in
frying pan; when hot enough (test with small piece of bread stuff) put
chunks of bread stuff into lard and fry until just browned on both sides.
Drain briefly on paper towels, put into dish and sprinkle with sugar and
rosewater mixture.

or:

Losenges Fryes
Two Fifteenth Century p. 97/74

Take flour, water, saffron, sugar and salt, and make fine paste thereof,
and fair thin cakes; and cut them like losenges and fry them in fine oil,
and serve them forth hot in a dish in lenten time. [end of original]

2 c flour 	a pinch of saffron 	1/2 t salt
1/2 c water 	1/2 c sugar	oil for frying

Crush saffron in water to extract color and flavor, put in a bowl and mix
in sugar and salt, add flour and mix lightly until moistened. Heat about 1
inch of oil in a frying pan. Roll out dough to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut in
small diamonds, fry a few at a time since they cook very quickly.

(recipes from Miscellany)

Elizabeth/Betty Cook