SC - cuttlefish & kids

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sat Feb 14 02:01:59 PST 1998

And it came to pass on 13 Feb 98, that Ian van Tets wrote:

> > On Fri 13 Feb, Robin Carrollmann replied:
> > Did the squid and cuttlefish recipe I posted get through?  I've been
> > having some mail problems recently...

>      I am not sure whether it got through or not (for reasons that
> will become clear) but would be delighted if you would send it again
> - either to the list or to me directly, if it has already been sent
> to the list in the not too distant past.

OKay, here we go again (and this time I'll remember to keep a copy
for myself).

"Libro de Guisados" Spanish, 1529
POTAGE OF SQUID AND CUTTLEFISH

Squid and cuttlefish should be very well washed and clean, and after
gently frying them, and not completely, and when they are almost half
cooked, take them out of the frying-pan, and put them in a pot; and
then take blanched almonds and raisins and pine nuts; and then take a
few toasted almonds and strain them with a little vinegar watered
down with fish broth if you have any; if not, cast in a little water
so that it will not be very strong; and when the raisins and the
almonds are a little fried with the squid or the cuttlefish, take
them and finish gently frying them; however they must be cut into
pieces, and when this is done prepare dishes.

I hope your lady finds this of interest.

Brighid (who hates squid and would probably hate cuttlefish, too)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net