SC - Re: feastocrat vs. head cook

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Sat Feb 14 09:33:38 PST 1998

OK, so I'm still about two months behind on this blasted list.  Once in
a while I get the number of back messages down to 1500 or so, and then I
spend a few days doing useful, constructive work and it's back up to
2500.  Anyway, back in the Stone Ages there was a discussion about what
to call various kitchen officers, in which Gideanus wrote:

> The office of the pantler is another possiblity. The pantler is on the
> same rung as the butler in the medieval household structure; both would
> work under the authority of the officier or the steward, the butler
> having to do primarily with wines and other beverages, and their
> service, while the pantler deals with food and its service. Perhaps
> Chief Server?

My impression was that the "butler" was originally in charge of "bottles",
while the "pantler" (who worked in the "pantry", incidentally) was
originally in charge of "pan", i.e. bread, trenchers, etc.  Now, where
did I read that?
					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu