SC - King's taste comments

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Sat Feb 14 11:12:52 PST 1998

> Sabia wrote:
> > tomorrow.  Any additional comments are welcomed.  An additional question I
> > have is how accurate are the redactions in To the Kings Taste and To the
> > Queens Taste?

Crystal of the Westermark replied:

> My big problem with _To the King's Taste_ is the one recipe for
> hippocras is really badly done. She does not quote the full source and
> uses ingredients (orange zest for example) not mentioned by the source.
> However, she does include a beverage recipe unlike most medieval
> cookbook authors, so I suppose I shoudn't complain. It's just that her
> hippocras recipe is misleading to people entering contests.

It's true that Sass does not quote the full source for her hippocras
recipe, saying it's "too long to be reproduced in the original".  But
what appears to be the same recipe (certainly the same source, Russell's
_Boke of Nurture_) DOES appear in (get this!) _Fabulous Feasts_, p. 155.
Not in itself a sufficient reason to buy _Fabulous Feasts_, but since a
lot of SCA cooks already have it....

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu