SC - Re: POTAGE OF SQUID AND CUTTLEFISH

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Feb 15 03:38:01 PST 1998

And it came to pass on 14 Feb 98, that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> > "Libro de Guisados" Spanish, 1529
> > POTAGE OF SQUID AND CUTTLEFISH
> >
> > Squid and cuttlefish should be very well washed and clean, and after
> > gently frying them, and not completely, and when they are almost half
> > cooked, take them out of the frying-pan, and put them in a pot; and
> > then take blanched almonds and raisins and pine nuts; and then take a
> > few toasted almonds and strain them with a little vinegar watered
> > down with fish broth if you have any; if not, cast in a little water
> > so that it will not be very strong; and when the raisins and the
> > almonds are a little fried with the squid or the cuttlefish, take
> > them and finish gently frying them; however they must be cut into
> > pieces, and when this is done prepare dishes.
>
> I wonder if you have an opinion on this. It seems like you've been
> working on this source for a while.

Yes, but I never got as far as translating the Lenten/fish chapter
from which the above is taken.  I have at least skimmed
through the entire book.  On the other hand, I am not as
knowledgeable and experienced in either hands-on cooking or medieval
foodlore as you and many others on this list.

> I can't help but notice that the
> recipe as translated deosn't seem to say what you do with the
> almonds toasted and strained with vinegar and fish broth. Is this
> brown almond sauce boiled separately and poured over the fried
> cephalopods, or is the dish finished by stewing rather than frying?

I would think the latter, or why bother to transfer the critters from
the frying pan (sarten) to a pot (olla)?

> It sounds rather like a seafood version of mirrauste (sp?) to me.

Hmmm... I'm looking at the two recipes for Mirrauste in the "Libro",
one made with young pigeons and the other with apples.  Yes, there is
a big similarity.  And both of those call for the main ingredient to
be cooked in the sauce.

> If that's the case, I assume the sauce is finished in the same pan as
> the squid, but this isn't actually specified, so...

I'll have to take a closer look at the seafood chapter and see if
there are any other recipes that shed a better light on this
question.  Anyone else want to jump in here with an opinion?

> > Brighid (who hates squid and would probably hate cuttlefish, too)

> Yeah, probably would. More to be pitied than censured, of course,
> but no accounting for taste, mine included.

It's the texture.  When we go out for sushi, I have tried and cannot
tolerate the "chewy" fishes, including eel, squid, and octopus.

> Adamantius

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net