SC - sweet onions

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Feb 16 07:20:02 PST 1998

Brid asked:

>... about the onions, does anybody know if the
>"sweet" onions that are available now, would have been available in period.
>There are references to people eating onions raw and whole... were they eating
>the nice mild tastey ones or the hot, tear your eyes up ones?

The sweet onions are a recent hybrid, so no, they are not period. Can you
post more details on these referances? I thought we had decided earlier
on this list, that one of the reasons onions are almost always parboiled
in medieval recipes was to make them less strong.

I believe there is some information on onions in these files in the FOOD
section of my Florilegium:

root-veg-msg      (42K) 12/29/97    Medieval and period root vegetables.
vegetables-msg    (78K)  1/15/97    Period vegeatbles. Recipes.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net