SC - Cheesecakes

S.Albert salbert at polarnet.com
Mon Feb 16 21:27:55 PST 1998

Greetings Rakhel Petrovna:

Our group found this in a Spanish cookbook a few years ago. Unfortunately,
it didn't give a primary source, and I don't even have handy the title of
the cookbook we found it in. Also, I don't have any specific instruction
left on crust -- I usually make a butter pie crust when in doubt and don't
want to worry how anything will work out.

Flaon
(16th Century Cheesecake)

pie crust to line 8-inch  springform pan
2 eggs
1/2 lb. cottage cheese
1/2 c. sugar
1/8 tsp dried mint leaves
1/8 tsp anisette liqueur
3 tbs. honey
1 tsp rose water
cinnamon, for dusting

Fit dough into springform pan, covering the bottom halfway up the sides. In
a bowl beat the eggs with the cheese, sugar, mint and anisette. Spread onto
the dough and bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until filling is set. Mix
together honey and rose water. Dribble over the flaon, then dust with
cinnamon. Serve warm.

Notes:
(1) For the crust, I've used both regular pie pans, and made individual
tarts (smaller portions for the end of a feast, and easier on portion
controlling)
(2) I thought about substituting riccotta cheese for the cottage, but
haven't gotten around to it.
(3) We used homemade anisette, which is quite tasty.
(4) It's a fairly sturdy recipe. I lost track of what I was doing one busy
feast day and through all the ingredients in together, including the
garnishes, and it still tasted wonderful, just didn't look the same.

It looks like it might be original, and adapted to a modern kitchen.

There is never any leftover, and what doesn't get eaten on the first round
is fought over during cleanup...

Morgana

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     salbert at polarnet.com
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     I will not expose the ignorance of the
and a decrescent argent.        *          faculty. --Bart Simpson