SC - beer bread, OOP

Tue Feb 17 11:33:21 PST 1998

Most of the brewers I know break the grain before fermentation, so the grain
is already coarse pieces.  I'm neutral on the point of chopping up the grain
or leaving it whole, since it will be only a minor textural difference in
the bread.

I tend to use 1 teaspoon to yeast to one cup of water to 2 to 3 cups of
flour and 1 teaspoon of salt with a pinch of sugar dissolved in the water to
activate the yeast.  For flours other than wheat, use a 1:1 mix between
wheat and non-wheat flours.  Eggs, butter or oil can be added to enrich the
bread.

I use a wooden spoon to mix the dough and my hands to finish the blending.
I don't have a mixer heavy enough to use dough hooks.

Personally, I would add the spent grain during kneading by flattening out
the dough, sprinkling the grain on it, then folding over the dough and
kneading it in.  In the mixer, I would add it to the mix early on, before
changing to the dough hooks.  This would allow it to get worked into the
dough before adding the flour that stiffens the dough.

Bear