SC - Flours was:[Dstlg] beer bread, OOP

Gedney, Jeff Gedney.J at phd.com
Wed Feb 18 09:47:30 PST 1998

> For your project, I am going to assume you are talking about the
> standard 30
> x 30 x 24 inch oven, if you have the larger commercial models, so much
> the
> better.  I'm also assuming you have early morning access to the
> kitchen.  If
> you don't, forget about baking on site.

That is about right,  they are electric, so I should invest in an oven
thermometer or two just to monitor the ovens.
 I should have the ability to arrive about 9 in the morning, but I doubt
much earlier.
I assume that I can partially prebake the pasties while the bread is
rising and brown them up just before serving, so the bread is served
warm, and the pasties hot from the oven.

My big concern with this plan will be the possibility of food borne
contamination while the pasties are waiting to be reheated.  Perhaps I
should just bake off the bread an hour before the feast, and cook the
pasties up in one go, and toss the bread in the oven for a quick warm-up
before serving.
I planned on the on-site bread for second course, with flatbread and
some dip or spread as part of the setup, and the pasties in the first
course.

> With 10 hours of access prior to the feast and two or three helpers, I
> would
> expect to do most of my cooking and preparation on site and would plan
> my
> menu accordingly.  But check the equipment carefully, I had one feast
> turn
> out badly when I lost all four ovens within the space of two hours.
A real concern.  I have not seen all the ovens working at once.
It would not be good to have the ovens blow the fuses, and be unable to
cook the event...
I'll have to check the site's resources myself before I finalize my
menu.

> Seven ovens.  I envy you.
That is why *I* got to pick the site!   ;-)  It pays to be seneschal,
site liaison, and cook!!

Brandu

PS to Margali,  the event date and name have not been finalized, and I
may have to be autocrat, as well, using on-site deputies to handle
problems of the day, but it will happen.

And I am not sure if I am going to Birka, I hope to, but in either case
Amber will not be going. and tell Briece that I did NOT snap at her, If
I did, there would be no doubt about it. I was just poking at her,
playfully.