SC - kitchen kits (long)

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Fri Feb 20 08:07:20 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Replying to Carolines comments on my comments to Celestria...:)

> I presume Anne-Marie is referring to the risk of fire spreading in dry
> conditions.  If not possible, Anne-Marie's solution sounds reasonable.
Actually, around here, it's less dry conditions (here in the Pacific NW
that's hardly a concern), but the rangers seem for some reason very twitchy
about us "ruining" thier precious lawns. Oh well.

> 	[Yeldham, Caroline S]  ? I would say wood was much more common -
> charcoal production was labour intensive and skilled job, and needed the
> right sort of wood.

I am basing my conclusions about the heavy use of charcoal on the pictures
I see of folks cooking. More than half of them are small black bits under
the pots, and the rest are of log type units with visible flame. No matter,
I conclude that both are usuable. For here, it is very difficult to get and
keep dry wood, so we're likely gonna go with the charcoal with just enough
wood for the "medieval TV" effect afterwards (you know, where everyone sits
around the fire, staring into it glazedly)

> 	[Yeldham, Caroline S]  Couvre feu? - I understood its where 'curfew'
> comes from - the medieval version of 'lights out'.  I must confess that
> since we are always lighting the fire before the public come in, I use
> matches.
Oh yes, I confused my couvre feu with my couvre chef. Oops! I suppose
they're not really interchangable, eh? I suspect I will have a butane fire
lighter gizmo in my tech box, just in case. Dont tell anyone!

> > 2. Fire toys. Pokers and prodders and pot lid lifters and hooks and
chains
> > and a trammel to suspend pots over your fire. If you cover your fire
area
> > with a canvas tarp you will be safe from sun and rain.
> 	[Yeldham, Caroline S]  I wouldn't cover the actual fire due to the
> risk of burning up your canvas - cover the tables beside it where you
will
> do most of the work.

What I saw was a canvas tarp draped over the top of those 6ft tripod poles.
Easily high enough not to get toasty. And it extended far enough out so
that it covered the work tables as well. Quite the rig.

> 	[Yeldham, Caroline S]  Bellows would be more common

Do you have a source for period bellows? The blowpipe was neat cuz I could
make it myself. I grant you that for a kitchen, bellows would likely be
more common.

> > 3. Pots. Medieval pots were copper, tin, ceramic, etc.
> 	[Yeldham, Caroline S]  Depends on period - but certainly for late
> 15th century bronze cooking pots were common, as were pottery ones.
Again, do you have a source for these? I've only been able to find cast
iron, and in some cases very expensive copper.

Thanks for all the input, Caroline! It's great to hear how folks do it
who've actually gotten it to work, whereas me, I've seen it once and am
attempting to recreate it in my home environment...

- --Anne-Marie