SC - breads

sunnie at CUPID.COM sunnie at CUPID.COM
Sun Feb 22 16:05:38 PST 1998

Two quick questions....I am planning to enter an old family bread recipe
in a period contest (if all my ingredients are period, as that is the
test for whether the bread is period or not).  We discussed yeast, so I
know the answer there.  The recipe also includes raisins, brown sugar,
water, lard, salt, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and flour.  Does anyone
know any reason why any of these things would not be used in period?

The second question comes from a friend.  She would like to know when
baking soda and baking powder were first used.

Thanks in advance.

Brenna