SC - Raw Milk

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at vr-net.com
Wed Feb 25 14:41:05 PST 1998

>Alys-Katherine,
>
>I think you are confusing homogenization with pasteurization.
>Homogenization it a method of stirring the milk so thoroughly that the
>cream, which is mostly butterfat, does not separate out from the body of
>the milk. Pasteurization is a sterilization process which kills all the
>little bacteria in the milk, and it can be done in one's own kitchen.
>Non-homogenized milk may be legally sold for human consumption. here in
>Ohio, anyway, but non- Pasteurized may not. Raw milk is the term for milk
>fresh from the cow, which has had neither of these processes applied to it,
>and I agree that most people would be better off not drinking rae milk. I
>have on many occasions, but I was familiar with both the farmer and the
>cow, and I would not suggest drinking it to others unless the drinker had a
>similar familiarity.
>
>phlip at morganco.net

   Sorry for bringing up an ancient conversation.  I'm fully a month behind
in my reading of the group!!!  But this is a topic that I have studied a bit
about, and feel compelled to coment.
   Homogenized milk has formaldehyde added to it, to prevent the cream form
separating.  The formaldehyde kills just about EVERYTHING beneficial in the
milk - this is why they have to add chemical versions of vitamins A & D back
to the milk, because the formaldehyde kills the natural vitamins.  It also
prevents the milk from "souring" properly, so that it rats before it sours
and turns into yogurt, sour cream, cheese, or some other edible form of aged
milk.  The dairy companies make a lot of money by preventing people from
making their own dairy products.
   Pasteurized milk is simply milk that has been heated to a specific
temperature (I can't remember for sure, but I think it's only like 140-160
degrees) and then stored in sterilized containers so as not to expose the
milk to any new bacteria.  Pasteurization does NOT kill the vitamins or the
beneficial properties of milk, and it also does not inhibit the growth of
beneficial bacteria (which can be added to the milk so that you achieve the
type of curd you are looking for, if it is something other than farmers
cheese, or cottage cheese).  Pasteurized (but NOT homogenized) milk will
still form yogurt, cheese, sour cream, etc. and the cream still floats to
the top so that you can skim it off and make your own butter.
   Goats milk is the only milk (that I know of, I mean, Girraffes or elk or
whales might, but I've never had the opportunity to sample any, ya know?)
that is naturally homogenized.  It comes out of the goat that way, and stays
a homogenous fluid indefinitely.  Different goats (just as with different
cows) produce milk of varying milkfat contents.  The average dairy goat
produces about 2-3 quarts of milk a day with an average of 3.5% butterfat.
A pygmy goat produces about 1 to 1 1/2 quarts of milk a day with an average
of 8-12% butterfat.  This natural homogenization of goat milk also effects
the type of cheese curds it can produce, generally smaller, softer cheeses.
   Here in Oregon, and also in Washington State, and I think in Idaho as
well, it is illegal for anyone to sell non-homogenized milk for human
consumption.  And I have discovered that a person is hard pressed to find
anyone who will sell it for "animal" consumption as well.  I can't find it
raw OR pasteurized.  And really, I would prefer to have it pasteurized for
me.  I don't like being forced to serve my family formaldehyde with their
cereal and PB&J sandwiches, ya know?  It should be consumer choice, not law.
But apparently there are very strict legal penalties for the person who
sells non-homogenized milk, even if it HAS been pasteurized.  Very frustrating.

- -Laurene
- -
*                                          The Tiny Zoo, inc.
*
*                                         Visit our Web Site!
*
*                            http://www.vr-net.com/~tinyzoo
*