SC - Copyright of Recipes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Feb 25 20:05:01 PST 1998

At 1:29 PM +0000 2/25/98, Delaurus at geocities.com wrote:

>And if you think of the bits from the original books, well, then everyone
>on this list (and all ISP's, and Dejanews) get busted real fast.  What are
>sources ?? Huh huh ??    Even those that fell into the public domain , the
>anthology/republication/whatever renewed the copyrights... So unless you
>actually use the original manuscript (I think the copyright on most period
>document died a while ago) yer already a criminal.

What do you mean by "the anthology/republication/whatever renewed the
copyright?" Republishing something doesn't give you a new copyright. If you
publish a scholarly edition of a medieval manuscript, your footnotes are
covered by your copyright, but the original is not.

Period recipes that have been translated in recent decades are covered by
the translator's copyright--subject to fair use etc. But period recipes in
the original are not covered by anyone's copyright.

Noemi responds:

>If I remember correctly this is where proper citation comes in (trying to
>remember back to my Grad student days).  Granted, I don't do it this way for
>recipes myself, but according to thesis writing manuals you should always
>provide a citation with the title, auther, in our case the page the recipe
>came from, the publisher, and copyright date.  If this is for a larger work
>with a full biliography, the citation can be shorter, providing only the
>auther, title, copyright date and the page the item came from (basically
>enough info to find the source in the bibliography).

Proper citation has nothing much to do with copyright law. If you copy
someone's work and provide a suitable citation, you are innocent of
plagiarism but may still be guilty of copyright infringement.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/