SC -Lye from ashes

Par Leijonhuvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Thu Feb 26 07:48:33 PST 1998

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Phyllis Spurr wrote:

> > You derive the lye used in soapmaking from the wood ashes from your
> > fireplace or wood stove.

> I've also made my own lye, in about the same manner.  However, an
> easier way to make lye water is to take a coffee can, punch holes in
> the bottom, fill with your ashes, place filled coffee can over a
> recepticle to catch lye water, pour water into the ashes and let
> drain.  Do this several times with fresh ashes each time.  I usually
> add a little table salt to strengthen the lye water and strain
> through a cloth to remove ash debris.

I can't recall what pH you need for soapmaking, but for a stronger lye
you can mix ashes with water, and boil the mix (1:2 (V/V, ashes/water)
will typically give pH 11-12, IIRC).

Be carefull with strongly alkaline solutions; they are _very_ damaging
to eyes, etc if you mess up. _If_ you do get some in the eyes the
treatment is to rinse with plain water or sterile isotonic saline
(preferred, for obvious reasons) as soon as possible (preferably within
5 seconds...), and keep rinsing until medical attention can be obtained.
There are good reasons why people wear safety goggles in laboratories.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
A dead body revenges not injuries.
		--William Blake