SC - Vinegar

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Feb 1 06:03:34 PST 1998

And it came to pass on  1 Feb 98, that Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Here's a thought...what types of vinegar do you think go with
> English food, vs French food, vs the Eastern corpus? Or German? or
> Spanish?
>
> Chiquart specifies red wine vinegar in his shopping lists. Is this
> because being Savoiard, this is the type he could get? Would an
> English cook use malt vinegar, ie fermenting the easier to get beer,
> rather than the imported wine?

Anne Wilson in _Food and Drink in Britain_ says that wine was
produced locally in medieval times.  The Domesday Book records 40
vineyards in southern England.  The vineyard at the monastary at Ely
produced so much verjuice that the excess had to be sold off.  When
cheap and plentiful wine from Gascony in France began to be imported
during the reign of Henry II, the English wine industry started to
decline.  The Wars of the Roses aggravated the situation,
as did the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII, since so
many of the vineyards were attached to religious houses.

"Vinegar" made from beer is more properly called alegar.  Wilson
feels that it may have been introduced as early as Roman times.
Around the 17th century, alegar began to take the place of verjuice
in pickles and sauces, and began to usurp the name "vinegar",
previously only applied to wine-based products.  Although
other kinds of vinegar were still made, malt vingegar became the most
common.

So it looks to me as though both wine vinegar and malt vingegar would
be appropriate for period British cooking.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net