SC - Bread Making From Platina

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Feb 2 21:29:16 PST 1998

Murkial af Maun /Christi Redeker posted Platina's bread recipe and asked

>Could someone out there (bakers beware) help me in redacting this recipe.

Here is our version out of the _Miscellany_:

On Bread
Platina pp. 13-14 (Book 1)

... Therefore I recommend to anyone who is a baker that he use flour from
wheat meal, well ground and then passed through a fine seive to sift it;
then put it in a bread pan with warm water, to which has been added salt,
after the manner of the people of Ferrari in Italy. After adding the right
amount of leaven, keep it in a damp place if you can and let it rise. ...
The bread should be well baked in an oven, and not on the same day; bread
from fresh flour is most nourishing of all, and should be baked slowly.
[end of original]

1 1/2 c sourdough
2 1/4 c warm water
1 T salt
1 c whole wheat flour
5 3/4 c white flour: 5 1/4 c at first, 1/2 c later

Put sourdough in a bowl. Add warm (not hot!) water and salt, mix. Add whole
wheat flour, then white, 1 or 2 c at a time, first stirring in with a
wooden spoon and then kneading it in. Cover with a wet towel, set aside.
Let rise overnight (16-20 hours). Turn out on a floured board, shape into
two or three round loaves, working in another 1/2 c or so of flour. Let
rise again in a warm place for an hour. Bake at 350° about 50 minutes.
Makes 2 loaves, about 8" across, 3"-4" thick, about 1.5 lb, or three
smaller loaves.

More recently, I have had it work with just a 4-hour rising in a warm place
(I had meant to get the dough started the night before, but did not get to
it).

By the way, if you do not know anyone with a sourdough starter, we can
bring you some of ours when we come out for the Known World Arts and
Sciences event, if that is not too late.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook