SC - Fw: VENISON!!

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Fri Feb 6 15:17:25 PST 1998

- ---Louise Sugar <dragonfyr at tycho.com> wrote:
> any ideas?   send em to rjwelenc at erols.com      :D

Dragonfyr,
For one, *I* am not going to be accused of being a spoon-tease.

Posted to list and to Alanna (who may recognize me from SCAHRLDS...)

(from memory) "Blackeagle's Best" Three-Meat Chili
Ingredients:
Two Tbsp. cooking oil
One pound each
   ground pork or mild pork sausage,
   ground beef, and
   ground/minced venison
   (see below; if venison is not available, ham chopped into
    very small cubes -- less than a quarter-inch / one
    centimeter -- may be substituted)
one very large or up to three medium onions, chopped / minced
garlic to taste (three to six cloves fresh, three tsp. powder)
water (as needed)
one can / bottle beer (eight to sixteen ounces; OPTIONAL)
tomato sauce, three eight-ounce cans (more or less to taste)
tomato paste, one six-ounce can
chili powder (I use Williams, one envelope -- "for Two Pounds Meat",
or Wick Fowler's Two-Alarm w/o using the red pepper packet)
other spices to taste
     (thyme, powdered ginger, oregano or marjoram, cocoa powder,
      cinnamon, vanilla, salt, etc.)
TIME

Prep:
Heat a large cast-iron pot with available lid (dutch oven, large
frypan with lid, etc.), add oil and coat bottom of pot thoroughly.
Crumble pork into oil, brown lightly; add beef slowly, also
browning. Remove and reserve approximately one-half of grease & oil.
Add chopped onion, cook until semi-transparent. Add venison and mix
thoroughly (add back a portion of reserved grease if the mixture
becomes too dry).
After all meats are browned, add water to barely cover contents of
pan ("temper" by pouring water onto meat, not metal!). Add minced
garlic cloves (if using powder, reserve until other spices are
called for).
Add all other liquids. Cover pot. Simmer at least thirty minutes,
adding additional water as needed to maintain fluid level *and*
stirring regularly -- wooden spoon / paddle preferred. Add all other
spices EXCEPT chili powder, simmer another thirty minutes OR LONGER
while covered (replenish liquid / stir as needed). Taste, adjust
spice combination as desired.
Approximately thirty minutes before serving, add chili powder, stir
thoroughly, bring to boil, return to simmer. Cover, stir every five
or ten minutes. Taste & adjust about ten minutes before scheduled
service.
Serve with choice of sides, breads, crackers, cheese, other
garnishes, etc. (Chopped raw onion, crudites, grated cheese, and
pinto or "ranch" beans, crackers and/or cornbread are traditional in
my household.)

PREPARATION OF VENISON FOR CHILI
When the available venison has not been previously ground,
particularly if it consists of lesser cuts such as shank bones and
other bony parts, or sections with much strifling (sheath of tough
tissue covering muscles) to be dealt with, it is very useful to have
a modern blender available.  (The equivalent pre-1600 method I
suspect required significantly more tedious hand-picking -- or the
same marginal cuts may have been used only for makig stock / were
discarded for the dogs / whatever.)
1. Remove meat and tendons / cartilage / strifling from bones.
2. Place a gobbet (say, no more than a fistful of pieces & bits or
else a larger chunk the size of an apple cut into smaller pieces)
into blender.
3. "Pulse" the blender for 15 to 30 seconds, or until the muscle
part of the meat has a fine texture and the appearance of small
splinters.
4. Empty into a bowl or onto a covered section of table, remove any
remaining large chunks of cartilage / tendon, and move to covered
storage while processing the next gobbet.
5. When prepped in this manner and added to this chili recipe, it is
not necessary to brown the venison as such. Add the venison to the
other already-browned meats, stir no more than a minute or so, and
cover with water and other fluids.

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com