SC - Digby's Excellent Cake

Fri Feb 6 16:09:02 PST 1998

"... put it into the oven well heated presently."  I would say the dough
should be allowed to rise for about an hour.  Even if you don't allow a rise
time, there will be a certain amount of rise during baking, making the final
product lighter than without the yeast.

Digby's recipe is actually a fruit bread baked in a cake hoop to help keep a
round, relatively flat shape (a "cake").  Baking the bread in a flat pan to
create a bar cookie is an interesting alteration of the recipe.

Thinking about it, I would probably let it rise if I were making it to
Digby's specifications and not rise if I were making a flat bread of it.

I'm not sure whether Digby is referring to real currants or "raisins of
Corinth" (Zante currants), however either should work, although the tastes
will be different.  You could also use candied fruit or soak dried fruit in
the sack (you might need a little more sack) as an acceptable substitute.

Bear