SC - Re; venison recipies

Paul and Jillian Louis pocopup at email.msn.com
Sat Feb 7 18:14:07 PST 1998

Greetings and Salutations!
    I read of your plight on the cooks line and felt that i had to reply;
beings that i too have recently been a recipient of such fine gifts.  Here
is what i have done so far;
    The simplest  dish is good 'ole venison and black bean chili. I used the
shoulder blade section for this.
        Cut the meat off the bone, and cube it. In a large pot sweat off
onion carrot and green pepper. Add meat and brown. Throw in cumin, red
pepper
flakes(i also use some smoked chipoltes) chili powder, pinch of cinnamon and
hersheys cocoa powder.  Add minced garlic, and an acid
product ( tequila,bourbon,whiskey, or tomato juice) Simmer30min. add
(cooked) black
beans, thyme,  oregano, cilantro, and salt. cook 10 more min and enjoy.
     I marinated and grilled the steaks..they came out pretty good;
        Marinade:
     Garlic, fresh rosemary, juniper berries, salt, black pepper, port wine,
brown sugar and olive oil.
      grill or broil the steaks, bring the marinade to a boil in a pan and
reduce by 1/2. Whisk in some butter and 1/4tsp mustard. Serve over steaks.
went well with mustard greens and roast potatoes
    For the ground venison i went a little wild;
     first, all the left over scraps and bone that i had from the chili i
made a stock with.
I put the stock into a 8 qt. pot added chicken stock(broth will work) minced
ginger, Thai fish sauce, Vietnamese red peppers(ordinary hot sauce will
work) and some lemon grass. Bring to a rolling boil. turn to a simmer. While
this is reducing , take the ground venison and put in food processor with
scallions ,ginger ,chinese 5 spice, garlic,pepper, soy sauce, and an egg.
Blend together.  Take some dry oriental mushroom caps about 8-10 and place
in a bowl with hot water to cover and cover the bowl. let them soak 20 or so
minutes. Also, pre soak some rice thread noodles. Then 15 minutes before you
wish to serve dinner , place the venison mix in the mushroom cap(just like
stuffed mushrooms) drop into simmering broth. divide rice noodles in to
serving bowls, and after cooking 10 min, pour broth and venison stuffed caps
over noodles. Garnish with scallions and cilantro. It sounds hard but it
really takes no effort .
     I also made venison sausages, the recipie is rather involved. I will be
happy to send it to you if you would like, but i need to know if you have
ever tied of sausages before.... typing is not one of my skills and if i
don't have to explain it ...well you get the idea.

Enjoy your Bambi
jillie...oops  i mean "Olga"