SC - cooking without fire, among others

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Mon Feb 9 12:17:28 PST 1998

- ---"Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US> wrote:
> The Black and Tan I'm familiar with is half Guinness, half Harp.
> Bear
> > Thought a Black and Tan was half hard cider?
> > phlip at morganco.net
> > :>Half and half, in an alcoholic sense, is a Brit invention, half
> > Guinness
> > :>  Stout, Half Bass Ale.
> > : Like I said, a black and tan...Ummmm::Going to the "celler"...

The biggest diff between (alcoholic) Black&Tan and (alcoholic)
Half&Half is that a perfectly constructed Black&Tan maintains the
layers between the two brews, while Half&Half runs them into the
glass at the same time / mixes 'em up. (Half&Half may use Harp
instead of Bass, as well, for the purists out there. [? - wierd
language construct, considering that I'm talking about mixing
things...])

Has no one else seen one of the nifty little spoon-thingamies used
to slow the flow in building the top layer of a Black&Tan?

Typically in American cooking, nonalcoholic or "dairy" half&half is
indeed a milk&cream blend.

BUT NOT ALWAYS. Check the recipe context carefully, as I have also
seen this a qualifier or shorthand for other 50/50 blends (most
often spices, but also on at least one occasion meat products).
True, in this meaning the construct usually occurs directly before
or after naming the two ingredients being combined -- my point is
that it does happen ... and two tsp. of dairy is far different than
a salt&pepper blend!

North Texas Irish Festival in a month -- saving my pennies for at
least one good glass o' (commercial) beer...

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com